Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Angra do Heroismo

    February 12, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We had to walk a km into town to catch the public bus to Angra but weren’t sure what side of the street to catch the bus so we each took a side of the street to cover all our bases. Our luck that Marco would drive by and guide us even though I’m sure he told us 5 times how the system worked! This bus is once every hour; whereas the bus going to the other main city was only every 2 hours. The fare was an unusual amount....€2,31.

    Angra is a Historic World Heritage Site as for centuries it was a port of call for the sea routes between Europe, America and Africa. The main attractions here are all the well maintained historic buildings and Duque Da Terceira Garden. But first we had to have lunch. The server recommended a local specialty, barnacles! She explained that you eat the snails inside. No thanks! We stuck with grilled tuna and hake, both reasonably priced as we are in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean after all.

    We had an enjoyable stroll through the gardens and to the ocean front, then John decided to sit and have coffee & dessert while I explored the historic area.
    Read more