Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Tributes and Treats in Belem

    March 14, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    When we finished touring the Monastery, we carried on with our sightseeing despite the light rainfall. We walked about 15 minutes to the riverfront where there is a 170 foot tall stone monument called “the Monument to the Discoveries”. The ships departed from here in the 15th and 16th centuries so this was to commemorate the “Age of Discovery” and the 500th anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator. Down the river we could faintly see through the mist to the National Sanctuary of Christ the King, a monument rising 240 feet to overlook the city. It was erected in gratitude because the Portuguese people were spared any effects of World War II.

    It was time for a break. Another short walk away was the restaurant, Pasteis de Belém, which is known for originating the Portuguese egg tart pastry. Since 1837 they have been making these tarts by hand using an ancient, secret recipe from the Monastery. This tasty pastry is sold everywhere in Portugal and John has tried many variations, surely raising his cholesterol with each bite. Lunch was good as was the tart that is served warm at the end of your meal.

    I wanted to take the trolley back to central Lisbon but John wasn’t feeling adventurous and was sure we would get lost. He’s generally been getting better at trusting my knowledge of the public transit systems wherever we have gone, but on this day he wasn’t taking any chances, so we returned by the same bus that brought us here.
    Read more