Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Rocking & Rolling

    January 20, 2019, Caribbean Sea ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    When we left Cartagena the ship captain announced that we would be encountering strong, gusty winds for the next 24 hours while we cruised the Caribbean Sea. The previous evening had been somewhat rocky but last night was the worst we’ve experienced as the Pacific Ocean had been very calm. There weren’t many people out-and-about during the evening and we walked like drunks as we moved about the ship as usual. We had planned to go out on deck to check things out but the door was near impossible to open and through the window we saw a man clinging to the rails while the strong wind tousled his hair and flapped his clothing. The wind was steady at 65 kmh with gusts up to 100 kmh. Sleep was restless as we would get roller coaster moments where you would feel airborne or you could feel the ship tilting one way or the other. There were a lot of creaking and thumping sounds as well but the ship carried on its northeasterly course and we survived the night. Even some of the senior staff said they were concerned about the waves and wind, especially since their cabins are below the waterline.

    Today it is still breezy with enough swaying that when I showered in the morning I was thrown against the wall when the ship tilted suddenly so after that I needed to hold onto the shower rail with one hand while I washed myself with my free hand. It was a very quick shower! We’ve been able to carry on our usual sea day activities. Believe it or not, I am usually up by 8:30 while JS sleeps until 9:30 or sometimes 10. We go our separate ways to do what interests us and meet up for a late lunch and dinner.

    The food has been very good in all of the restaurants...but not good for our waistlines! Most of the staff are from various parts of Indonesia. They have been the most helpful, friendly workers that actually seem to enjoy what they are doing and are happy to talk about their homelands. Most are on 6-10 month contracts and work 11 hour days with no days off during the entire length of their contract. I just cannot fathom working every day for that many months without a single day off! Their work day is from 7 am to 11 am and 4 pm to 11 pm. Some go to explore the ports but others take a nap mid-day. They work very hard but are paid good wages, especially compared to what they would make in Indonesia. Many are young and are saving up for their education, while the older ones send their money home to their families.

    It was our final Gala Dinner where JS enjoyed his steak and lobster. After dinner a special event was held in the Atrium where every chocolate treat you can imagine was offered. We then headed to the top deck on the ship to watch the lunar eclipse. iPads do not take good night time photos I found out. It was warm but breezy up there. The stars were brilliant and the eclipse made it a memorable evening.
    Read more