Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Bondi to Coogee

    February 20, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    While yesterday was a bit of a disappointment, today’s adventure more than made up for it. I took the public bus to Bondi Beach, which was a 40 minute ride through suburban Sydney. The bus fare was only $7.50 return as fares are based on km travelled. Bondi is world famous amongst surfers. Although the beach is massive there are signs all along saying no swimming allowed. The only place for swimming is a short stretch between the flags where the lifeguards are and they patrol the beach to enforce this. “Between the flags” applies to all the public beaches and there is actually a clothing shop in Bondi with this name that sells expensive t-shirts.

    The coastal walk extends for 6 km along the Eastern shore and is well marked. There are six beaches along the route as well as an underwater nature trail. The sand is fine and white. Most beaches have surf clubs with seawater pools. The surf club at Bondi is called Icebergs because the members swim year round. The clubs offer a lifesaving program whereby indigenous youth are learning to be lifeguards.

    The condition of the walk is very good and is popular with mostly young tourists and locals who use it for fitness walks. There are a lot of ups and downs, including stairs and steep inclines, especially the last km which is all uphill. It is estimated to take 2 hours but it took me 3 hours as I stopped for rest breaks, a picnic lunch, and to take in the awesome views. It was the most unforgettable walk!

    I walked around Coogee and then hopped on the bus. As if I hadn’t done enough walking, I walked around the CBD before collapsing in the apartment around 8 pm. The best part of a winter holiday.....Steps 19,644, 13.7 km! I would never do this in Winnipeg in February!
    Read more