Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Uluwatu, Indonesia

    June 5, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We had quite an adventure traveling from Lombok back to Bali. Being on a tight budget, our group decided to take the four-hour public ferry from Lombok to Bali for about $5 (NZD) rather than the fast one-hour ferry which cost about $20; of course this was a mistake. While the public ferry did arrive to port on schedule, our boat had to queue in the habour for about three hours before it could dock. Needless to say, our group were less than impressed when we finally made landfall at 6pm. We then travelled by shuttle for about two hours to Uluwatu where we discovered that our reserved airbnb did not exist... sigh. By now we were beginning to see the humorous side of our day's misfortunes and held it together long enough to book nearby accommodation. We stayed the evening in a hotel that had clearly seen better days and moved to better lodgings in a better location the next morning.

    We spent the following three days visiting Uluwatu temple where monkeys stare unwaveringly into your eyes as they snap the sunglasses they just stole, lazing (and paddleboarding) on the overcrowded yet picturesque Padang Padang beach, and watching professional surfers cleave their boards in two on a 10ft shallow reef-break. As our final day in Uluwatu drew to a close, so did our time with our travelling companions who all dispersed to various corners of the globe. It was time to end our journey through Indonesia and make our way to Singapore!
    Read more