Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    Kampot, Cambodia

    August 17, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our group loved our time in Kampot. Kampot is a small city sitting next to a large river near the southern coast of Cambodia. We ate at a number of restaurants dotted along the river front. My highlight was a place called 'The Rusty Keyhole' which legitimately boasts Cambodia's best spare ribs on their menu. Needless to say, Paul and I demolished a huge portion of these at this fine establishment (not sure what the girls ate).

    We rented scooters on two of our days in Kampot. On one of these days, we travelled on dirt roads through rural villages to a series of large caves housing a small shrine. Even in this remote area, we had to fend off village children offering to give us unnecessary tours for money. On our other scooter day, we rode into the nearby mountains to an abandoned casino. It started to rain while up in the mountains giving the entire place an eerie feel. On our way back down, Whitney and my scooter got a flat tire. Being in the middle of nowhere without a usable cellphone, we loaded Whit onto Paul and Arnetia's scooter (like the the locals do) and slowly descended for 30 minutes to a roadside mechanic who spoke no English. Luckily I'm excellent at charades. All part of the adventure I guess.

    Paul and Arnetia now fly back to New Zealand while Whit and I head to Singapore to see our soon-to-be-wed friends from New Zealand, Brook and Jess.
    Read more