Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 150

    Ninhvana Resort, Vietnam

    October 10, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    After five months of budget traveling and questionable accommodation, Andreas and I decided that it was time to splurge on a bit of luxury. A fellow traveler told us about an all-inclusive 'backpacker resort' outside the beachside town of Nha Trang and we were sold! For $70 (NZD) per person we were driven to the gorgeous compound in the middle of nowhere (1.5 hours from the nearest city). We received a daily spa treatment, access to stand up paddle boards, kayaks, morning and evening yoga sessions, a 'soccer game with the locals,' volleyball, jungle trekking, a bike tour of the local village, unlimited alcohol, fresh squeezed juice and smoothies, and so much delicious food! The only catch is you stay in bunk beds because it is technically a hostel.

    We had such a great time relaxing and making new friends. It was also great to see that the resort hired and trained their staff from the local village. Normally their only job prospects would be either a fisherman, farmer, or shop owner. It was fun biking around the village and being swamped by children who rarely see white people (the resort only recently opened). They enthusiastically said "HELLLOOOO, MY NAME IS!" (the only English they knew) and shook our hands. Some of the children even followed us on bikes for our whole bike tour showing off their bike riding skills.

    Our time at the resort was a great escape from our usual way of travelling. Now it's time to get back to our budgeting.
    Read more