Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Bodrum & the importance of flexibility

    October 8, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    Picked up the rental car yesterday and headed south. Took the slightly slower road nearer the coast to see the countryside. Lots of greenhouses with tomatoes and aubergine (eggplant), which I have a new love for thanks to how delicious it is here…incorporated into yogurt, cooked with cheese, mmmm…

    About 2 hrs south of Izmir we found Turkish cotton country—acres and acres of cotton fields with harvest underway. Passed a bunch of tractors hauling full trailers of cotton to the nearby gins and storage buildings full of literal mountains of cotton.

    East from there took us back to the Aegean, where you see *huge* resorts perched on hills leading down to the sea. Clearly “all inclusives” are the draw here, with arcades and water parks for the kids and multiple bars, restaurants, pools, and spas for the adults. It boggles the mind how many there are just in this area alone…easily 20,000+ rooms in a 5 mile stretch of road.

    Bodrum seemed to both of us more Greek than Turkish on first impression—mostly white houses nestled on hillsides around a picturesque bay. Which makes sense since it’s a 1-hour ferry ride from the island of Kos, and the reason we’re only here for one night. Decided to “pop on over” to Greece since it’s so easy AND just happens to be the island which Donny’s sister, Fiona, recommended after her & Ken’s recent visit.

    Now here comes the flexibility part… after meticulously researching the ferry, timing, hotel in Bodrum near the terminal, and chatting with our lovely Airbnb hostess on Kos, what we failed ask was, “Can we leave the country with our rental car?”

    We cannot leave the country with our rental car. Which we discovered when checking in 40 minutes ahead of our booked ferry to Kos. The exchange with the ticket guy (who thankfully spoke great English) was classic…

    Him: You have rental car?
    Us: Yes
    Him: Ah, you have voucher saying you can take rental car out of country?
    Us: 😶
    Him: Let me see paperwork (we hand over little car license folio). No l, you do not have voucher to take car out of country.
    Us: 😳🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️. Can we call to get it.
    Him: You can. (Lengthy pause) But you need it in writing.

    More (restrospectively hilarious) conversation continued at the end of which, and this is one of the biggest reasons I absolutely adore Donny, we switch gears, park the rental car, and head for the ferry sans wheels. Will we get a €240 refund for not taking the car.

    Him: I will talk to boss (with face saying, probably not).
    Read more