Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    Wreck Diving in Bocas

    April 23 in Panama ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Bocas has a lot of wrecks to dive. First no there are no bodies in any of these wrecks! Most of them were planned wrecks for diving.

    We dived to a sailboat called Godewind with all the rigging and sail still intact encrusted with marine life. Quite a Pirates of the Caribbean look. Our dive master kindly took a video of us here.

    We free dove (just holding our breath) the Panama Airplane. This didn’t crash in the water but overran the nearby runway and was destroyed with no loss of life so they just towed it out into the harbour and sank it to provide an interesting dive site. It is about 6m under water.

    We also dived around the sunken Old Ferry for the island complete with car deck and a random toilet.

    Lastly we did 3 dives to a trimaran called Mystic Winds which was big enough to swim under and through finding various fish including large groupers and a couple of sleeping nurse sharks.

    I find it encouraging to see how marine life reclaims old wrecks. Not all our waste is totally useless to nature.

    All in all we have grown during our diving on this trip. At the start of the year in Mexico we tended to be lacking experience and confidence when diving, but now we tend to be quite a bit more confident and competent than the people we are diving with. Diving around and particularly through or under wrecks requires excellent buoyancy control which we have been focusing on with a speciality course in Costa Rica. So far this year we have done over 30 dives.

    We hope to dive again in Colombia.
    Read more