Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Being Flexible

    November 1, 2022 in Syria ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    For the 0.005% of you following the news in Uganda, there’s been an Ebola outbreak that we were hoping (for so many reasons the least of which are our travel plans) would be contained to under 100 cases, but has recently spread in the capital, infecting 6 students and many others. We have shifted our plans and rather than going to Uganda to spend time with the Abayudaya (Jewish) community in Mbale, we will be spending 3 weeks in Luxor, Egypt at a worldschooling hub.

    One of the things that has been surprisingly difficult is finding other kids to play with. We were so lucky in Israel to connect with a welcoming worldschooling/ home schooling group of families with a bunch of elementary aged kids. We would meet at a different playgrounds where the kids would create imaginative play games, built castles and a moat with palm fronds, rocks and a water source, play math games on picnic benches, play soccer and run around while the parents shared travel and life experiences. It was fulfilling for all of us to have new people with whom to talk and interact.

    Thus, when we realized we couldn’t go to Uganda where Lewis and Andrew were supposed to go to school and have kids to play with, we tried to find an alternative place where they could socialize. Worldschooling hubs have popped up around the world where like-minded families will gather. The kids will attend a themed camp during the week that’s mainly kid-led play and exploration, while the adults can work or explore the country. There are meals and activities where the families can hang out and be around other people who speak English. On the weekends, the families can go on optional excursions like diving in the Red Sea or taking a felucca to Aswan. Andrew is super excited, Lewis is on board and predictably a bit nervous, and Rob and I are thrilled for the kids to be around other kids, for us to have other parents to interact with, and for the kids and us to have a break from each other. While we really enjoy each other’s company, it’s nice to have some fresh faces and stories in the mix. Now, on to Morocco where we will see Grandma and Papa before heading to Egypt!
    Read more