Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Vik and waterfalls

    February 11 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 27 °F

    Once again we slept in until sunrise, made breakfast and then finally hit the road to Vik which was a little over and hour from us. Roads were clear at first and then not so clear, but Tige kept us super safe. Our first stop was the black sand beach Reynisfjara which had amazing basalt columns notched out at the shore and great views of the very rough sea. The wind was high and gusts would pelt your face with sand and small pebbles. Huddy was not a fan. We then went to a pub in Vik for lunch. Yummy fish & chips, Icelandic fish stew and burgers/pasta/chicken for the rest. Probably the best fish we have had in a while. We were sitting next to a woman in an Illinois shirt and found out she was from Alton, which is not far from Troy. After that we hit another black sand beach called Vikurfjara. Finer sand and beautiful views.

    After that we made our way back, first stopping at Skogafos (gorgeous waterfall). Tige, H and I hiked up to the top overlooking the falls and it was even more beautiful up there.

    Our next stop was Seljalandsfoss, a partially frozen waterfall that in summer you can hike around behind. Still beautiful in winter, but our real favorite was 1/2 mile from the first falls (there was a row of waterfalls down the cliffs). The kids and T & I made our way on rocks through the side of the water and climbed a huge ice block to stand next to the waterfall. Not to be missed and thankful we took the trek in.

    We made it home around 7 and hit the hot tub for a bit. Nice to warm up, but honestly our faces are the only things that are cold and windburned. Layers and a super Mountain Hardware sale for the win!

    Mexican dinner via Costco which was great and then Tige and I made some hot toddys and went out to chase the northern lights after an app we follow had several sightings nearish to us. We saw shadows and faint aurora but not the really green vibrant deal. Lots of action in Reykjavik. Hopefully will see her in the days to come!
    Read more