Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Reykjavík

    February 15 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 36 °F

    We woke up and had a delicious pancake breakfast, packed up and headed toward Reykjavík which was a 2 hour drive. We had tickets to an interactive museum called Perlan, which was actually very cool. They showed a cool planetarium film about the auroras and another about the volcanic eruptions of 2021 that lasted 6 months. We learned about wildlife and visited an ice cave that was surprisingly accurate. We learned about glacier formation and speed of changes. The latter was pretty sad actually as it highlighted how fast we are losing glaciers worldwide. We tried some Icelandic ice cream (delicious) for lunch. Next we went to the iconic Lutheran church Hallgrimskirkja. We made it just in time to see the tower and had amazing views of the city.

    After the church we went back to our AirBnb and checked in. It is right above a busy shopping area with plenty of places we planned to check out tomorrow. Tige surprised me with Icelandic cinnamon donut holes drizzled with honey and sesame seeds and a musical candle like one we had for a birthday that sang for weeks in the garage in Texas.

    We fixed dinner for the kids and went out for a delicious birthday dinner at the Icelandic restaurant called Kol. Super yummy tasing menu for the restaurant’s birthday, def recommend. After dinner we walked for a bit before we headed home. A memorable birthday for sure.
    Read more