Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Keukenhof and Zaanse Schans

    April 4 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F

    Today was a super fun day outside of Amsterdam. Tige had the great idea to rent a car for the day and got up early to tram over to get it while I went to the market and handled breakfast. Our place is so cute and the kitchen is one of the best stocked that we have ever stayed in. He picked us up and we headed to Keukenhof (the amazing tulip/flower farm about 45 min away). It is the 75th anniversary this year and each year the gardens start in October and plant 7 million bulbs over 3 months. They get 8 weeks of flowers. They did not disappoint! Absolutely gorgeous. Pavilions filled with roses and orchids and more varieties of tulips than I ever thought possible. Kids love it too. Also had a cool playground, the most delicious mini Dutch pancakes with powdered sugar and Nutella, a maze (girls rule, boys drool) and beautiful lambs and baby goats to pet. We had a great food truck lunch of croquettes, pasta and fries (w/mayo of course) before heading out.

    Our next stop was Zaanse Schans museum of Dutch history, a Verkade chocolate factory exhibit complete with biscuits and games and a long walk through the 11 windmills along the path. We made it just in time to see the cheese house and tried many samples (but not the ones Hudson coughed on) and settled on a truffled cows milk cheese and a spicy chili cows milk cheese to take home (family agreement:).

    We drove to the next village and had a delicious Indian meal in a family run spot (other than looking over and seeing H crying because his chicken curry was too hot😬). We solved it with butter chicken and all was well. Headed home to the apartment and then Tige took the car back and we are in for the night. Looking forward to heading into the city tomorrow.
    Read more