Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Bridgetown-The Human Maze

    19 Nisan 2011, Barbados ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    The day started with coffee on the porch and a multi-generational discussion of legalizing marijuana. Our think tank concluded that legalizing, regulating, and taxing the crap out of it might be a good idea. Of course, that's why we're relaxing here and not legislating there!

    (Actually, now that I think about it, the day actually started with a sore jaw, but I'm not getting any sympathy out of that story anymore, so I won't digress.)

    Judy wanted to go into to Bridgetown to pick up an iPad for Ralph's upcoming 88th birthday. We decided it would be fun to accompany Judy on the errand, as well as follow her into Bridgetown. It's virtually impossible to get around anywhere directly, so this was our opportunity to ease into B-town and see the few sites we had read about there. Moira rode with Judy, and her husband, Bill, rode with Kim and me in case we got separated.

    As soon as we started to hit the more urbanized area, I was immediately grateful to be following Judy, an island resident since the mid-60's. With every unmarked one way, blind curve, and road that looked like an alley, I felt myself completely at the mercy of Judy's driving. My blind trust took a huge hit the first time she had to stop and ask for directions...and the second time...and the third time...Fortunately, we got to the computer store after one last wrong turn and one more set of directions. We quickly acquired the iPad and asked the clerk for directions to the Jewish Synagogue. Supposedly it was "just down the street" but I didn't hold my breath.

    A short two blocks later we arrived at the site of the oldest Synagogue in the Western hemisphere. The original structure, built in 1654, was destroyed but a "new" one now stands in its place. Over the years, the Jewish population left the island, so there were few here by the mid-1800's. The property then fell in disrepair and has only been recently renovated and the Nidhe Israel Museum added. During the archaeological dig, they discovered several different grave sites and historical debris. Interestingly, only just a few years ago, they found the first Mikvah of the Western Hemisphere. It is an underground structure, built over a spring, which allows for the full immersion of a person into the water for religious purposes. Apologies to my Jewish friends, but that's a short version of what I understood. The museum was fascinating and very informative. The Jewish community's contribution to Barbados is still evident, as they were critical to establishing the country's sugar industry.

    Judy left us after the Synagogue, so we were on our own as far as getting out of B-town. We definitely took the scenic route out of town but did finally manage to get on the coast road: Barbados' equivalent to Highway 1 in California. I'm still baffled as to how an individual is supposed to get around: the roads that DO have signs are usually not on the map, and the main roads DON'T have signs, but they do appear on the map. The most used question of the day: Were we supposed to turn there?

    We had lunch on the beach, drove by our pending accommodations, then Moira and Bill drove with us to give directions back to the farm. The hope was that Kim and I would be able to backtrack to the same location (fat chance). However, after a swim, we packed up and tried to navigate the island for the first time by ourselves. It only took three turns, before we had to make a u-turn and return to the road we missed. But we did well after that. We bought some groceries at Emerald City (no wizard), then I insisted that we get a bite at Chefette, via the drive-thru. It's a chicken place, but there's something very bizarre about going through a drive-thru in a clockwise direction. Silly, I know, but fun nonetheless.

    We got to Mike's Holiday Apartments with only one or two more missed turns. The place is great and exceptionally clean. We unpacked and got settled in for the night.

    Tomorrow looks like a good day for the beach, but who knows where we might end up with our dumb map!
    Okumaya devam et