Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    An accidental discovery

    April 29, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    An absolute highlight of our trip so far was the accident discovery of Lower Joffre Lake. We’d been climbing a range in the RV for at least 20 minutes, taking us into snow region, but with low hanging cloud it was hard to make out what was around. Then this sign indicated a lake was nearby and with the car park half full we decided to stop and take a peek.

    Well, to our absolute delight, a fifteen minute walk through snow covered ground led us to a lake covered in snow and ice. It was like we’d entered a winter wonderland, a magic place we’d dreamed of many times. The spring melt had only just started at Joffre Lake and so both of us got to walk [very gingerly] out onto the ice. What a privilege! The silence was profound and extremely magnetic… could have stayed there for hours!

    Then the road descended rapidly, the sky cleared and we entered a much dryer part of the country, with very tall mountains, plunging cliffs and powerful rivers flowing in the valleys, resulting in our eventual arrival at Lillooet, a First Nations town in the middle of BC.

    Now onto our Fraser River experience!
    Read more