Satellite
Show on map
  • Lava flow in Kalapana, HI

    January 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    The lava is really flowing from PuU O O crater.
    We went just before sunset and rented some bikes to make the journey to the flow easier. Checking the wind direction is a must before going to see the flow as shifting winds can cause lethal volcanic gases to be blown towards you.
    As you ride out you are surrounded by a vast sloping lava field. To the right it gradually climbs up towards volcano national park and to the left it gently slopes down towards the ocean where it terminates in a large lava cliff.
    Half an hour later we arrived at the viewing area which is nothing more than some warning signs and ropes to keep people from getting too close.
    What a sight it was! The lava was flowing think into the ocean. A glowing orange steam about 3 to 5 feet in diameter spewed over the solidified lava and into the ocean causing violent, gaseous eruptions.
    New land was being created right in front of our eyes and it was amazing!
    We watched for about an hour and the orange glow became stronger as the night got darker.
    Slightly hypnotized and invigorated by the power of mother Earth we decided it was time to ride back.
    Read more