Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Center of the World - Felicity, CA

    July 15, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 102 °F

    In the hot sands of the desert just west of Yuma, you will find Felicity California. It's official population is somewhere around 3. There you will find the official center of the world (as agreed upon by both California and France... yes, you read that right).

    We didn't actually get to see the true center of the world. It was inside a pyramid that was locked. We didn't see anyone there and the museum and gift shop were shut. We were probably trespassing, but we walked around the complex anyway. It was 105 degrees and we would not be deterred!

    It is really hard to explain the eclectic nature of the place. Just past the pyramid, is a field with lots of long granite wedges with carvings on them. They relate the history of humanity. There are hundreds of panels, many not yet carved upon.

    Past the history in granite is the town church on the hill. It was also locked, but we could see inside of it.

    There was also some sort of maze, which was locked up and a spiral staircase going nowhere. It turns out the staircase was part of the original staircase from the Eiffel Tower. What the heck????

    Oh, I almost forget. In the middle of the history of humanity in granite field, is a replica of the Liberty Bell at one half scale. It was little Pence size. 😊

    The Mayor and founder of the town apparently wrote a children's book that helped convince California and France to officially recognize Felicity as the center of the world.

    This was our last strange stop of our trip and it was a doozy! I dragged Jenn and the kids to it, but they all agreed it was worth it, even at 105 degrees. 😉
    Read more