Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Service Work - The Shack

    February 23, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    After brekky we made our way to The Shack Community Centre. It is a non-profit founded in 2002 and provides food, counseling services, outreach, and more for the local vulnerable population, including the homeless and those suffering from drug and domestic violence issues. We were greeted by the husband and wife founders, their daughter, and staff. Today our job was to prepare meal kits.

    We split into two groups. One group peeled and cut the veggies as well as cooked the chicken, while the other group learned about the homeless and took part in some Australian cultural traditions. The groups then swapped and the meal kits were put together.

    The cultural traditions were two. One, the Tim Tam Slam! Tim Tams are a wafer cookie covered in chocolate. You bite off the ends and use it as a straw. We all took part in this earlier in the week with a hot cocoa drink (Milo). Today it was with cold chocolate milk. If you are nit fast enough, the Tim Tam breaks down (especially with a warm drink).

    The other wad to eat two SOA crackers (hard dry biscuits) and then try to whistle! You can imagine how well that went. 🤣

    When were were finished, our team of hard working Pinewood students out together over 100 meals for the community. We left feeling very good about the work.
    Read more