Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Delphi and The Temple of Apollo

    June 4, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    The big ticket item today was our visit to Delphi and the Temple of Apollo and its surroundings. For hundreds of years, Delphi was the cultural and religious center of Greece and considered the center, or navel, of the world!

    Delphi was home to the most highly revered oracles of the ancient world, Pythia, priestess of Apollo, whose hight of importance was between the sixth and fourth centuries, BC.

    It was a long drive and a warm day, but it was worth it! We were amazed at the views from Mt. Parnassos, the temple ruins, and the atmosphere at Delphi. On our ride, Mariana, our guide, told us stories of Delphi and related Greek myths. We even had a lesson in reading Greek, which helped us at Delphi with some of the inscriptions.

    After making it to the Temple of Apollo, a group headed up to the top to see the stadium that hosted the Pythian festival games (similar to the ones held in Olympia). It was a long, hit climb, but worth it! Another group headed down to the bottom and the Delphi Museum.

    We all met back up and had an uneventful bus ride back to Athens for dinner. Many of us, including me, had a nice nap! 😁

    Note: FindPenguins limits a post to 20 pictures and one video. Our FB group has more. 🙂
    Read more