Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2: Greetings from Historic Jamestown

    September 18, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    Yes, that is the old-timey spelling. 😁

    Our second day began with a lesson in glassblowing at Jamestown, giving us a glimpse into the craft that dates back centuries. The day continued with an tour of the first permanent English settlement in North America, a place brimming with history and tales of the past.

    As we wandered through the settlement, we learned about when and why the English settled there, their way of life, their relationships with the local Indian Tribes, and we toured a typical Algonquian encampment. A notable highlight was learning about a fascinating contraption used to secure babies to their mothers' backs while they worked, a detail that particularly caused a buzz in my group!

    A voyage into maritime history awaited us as we visited replicas of the three legendary English vessels - the Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery. Stepping aboard the Susan Constant, we were amazed at how cramped the conditions aboard the ship were.

    We concluded our tour with a musket firing demonstration, a sound that reverberated much louder than the kids expected. There were quite a few students that jumped when it went off!

    An FYI, at Jamestown and Williamsburg, we were split into two groups. We did mix them up a bit halfway through the day, but I was only able to get pictures of my group. I am working on getting pictures from the other half and will add pictures when I get them. 🙂

    FindPenguins limits each post to 20 photos and 2 videos. In our Facebook Group there are more pictures.
    Read more