Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Exploring Along the Gillies Range Road

    October 2, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 25 °C

    Today we decided to explore the area along the Gillies Range Road, which becomes extremely windy and steep along the other end.

    We saw the Curtain Fig Tree and then later the Cathedral Fig Tree, both impressively large strangler fig trees. However, the Cathedral Fig is mind blowing in sheer size and amount of strangling roots.

    We explored the little village of Yungaburra, with its historic pub and cute, tourist shops. We drove to a farm where we were thinking of camping later in the week, but found it wasn’t suitable. We ended up eating a late lunch at a pub in the middle of nowhere. We sat on the deck overlooking a well shaded river. After lunch we drove back along the windy Gillies Range Road, stopping at Lake Barrine to check out the lake and tearooms (which we have visited before, but unfortunately no dogs allowed so we continued on our way back.

    In the town of Yungaburra we visited the Afghanistan Avenue of Honour, dedicated to all those who served in the fight against terror in Afghanistan. This living memorial was begun by the parents of local commando Ben Chuck, who died while serving in Afghanistan. The memorial now also represents those who fell in other wars.

    A quick stop at the supermarket and we headed back to our little home on wheels to relax, cook a pizza on the Weber and we made a return visit to the communal area to hand feed the wildlife.

    Night night from the cool and lush Tablelands!
    Read more