Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Sugar Mills to Beaches, Rain to Sunshine

    November 2, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Today was an ‘all sorts’ of day in terms of weather - one minute rain, the next the sun was out. First thing in the morning Gadi washed Cadbury and we wrapped him up in a towel to dry. His coat has grown quickly (I guess we have been away 2.5 months already) sine his last groom. We might need to get him clipped before we get home.

    We left our overnight stay caravan park in Sarina around 9am and drove to the Sugar Shed for Gadi to do his tour.

    We parked and opened up all the windows in the caravan, which was much more comfortable for me and Cadbury than waiting in the car.

    Gadi’s tour guide was nowhere near as interactive or pleasant as the one I had yesterday so he didn’t get as much out of his tour as I did.

    We left Sarina (after stopping at the local bakery) around 11am and decided to explore some of the local beaches, which were tucked away, quite a long way from the town of Sarina. We ate lunch at picnic tables on the beach and then continued driving south.

    We checked out Carmilla Beach, as we’d heard it was a good place to camp at a very low cost. You can camp anywhere through the scrub for about 3km, but the sand was quite soft and the after the first open section the roads were narrow with overhanging branches. We decided not to stay. It was very windy when we arrived and the tide was far out making the beach a little unappealing. We decided to continue driving.

    Away from the beach it was pretty hot so we decided to keep driving closer to the Yeppoon area so that when we stop most of the heat of the day is gone. We managed to drive as far as Marlborough, pulling up behind the pub. We promptly both fell asleep in the caravan, with the windows wide open to catch a pleasant late afternoon breeze.

    We chatted to some of our fellow travelers before heading back to our little home on wheels to cook a really simple dinner of pasta with tinned salmon and parmesan.

    I crashed out early, despite my earlier nap. Must be something about country air that does it. Or it could just be that a day of driving is tiring.

    Night night from Central Queensland - we are now officially out of the Far North xx
    Read more