Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Last Day on the Capricorn Coast

    November 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Today was our last day on the Capricorn Coast. We had a quiet morning and I had a refreshing swim in the pool. Afterwards, I noticed that the owners had put their two pet ponies in the pool enclosure, so naturally I had to get a photo.

    Then we head off to check out a pottery place in the Byfield State Park, about an hour’s drive north. The couple who own the pottery ‘shop’ and gallery have lived there since the 1970s, when this stretch of forest would have been quite remote. They have a large parcel of rainforest-covered land that provides enough sustainable wood for their large kilns. They use wood-fired as well as gas kilns. They also host workshops and display works by other artists.

    After exploring the galleries we headed to the nearby Byfield General Store, which we had heard makes great meals. We enjoyed some delicious calamari and a burger sitting on the deck with a great big fan providing some much needed cooling. A cheeky kookaburra came up really close st the next table to see what scraps he could steal.

    Then we drove along all the beaches from Yeppoon in the north down to Zilzie in the south, saying a last goodbye to the many pretty coves and vast stretches of sandy beaches and craggy rocks. We got out at Emu Park to see the Singing Ship one more time.

    Finally, we headed beck to Kinka Beach to chill for a bit and enjoy a final swim in the aqua coloured water. We began the process of packing up the outside of the caravan, sneaking in a final wash of towels to dry overnight, before heading inside and eating a late (and light) dinner of frittata, toast and salad.

    Time to watch the Q&A special on this evening...or just chill out for the evening.

    Night night from Kinka Beach xx
    Read more