Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 86

    Exploring Bundaberg

    13 november 2018, Australië ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    This morning we packed up and left Workman’s Beach campsite at Agnes Water and headed to Bundaberg, where we decided to go straight to the free camp on the edge of town and unhook the caravan there so we could explore Bundaberg without having to tow a 2.4 tonne caravan behind us.

    This done, we headed straight to Kalki Moon, a relatively new family-owned distillery close by. We tasted their gin made into a gin mule (muddled lime and Bundy ginger beer), chocolate hazelnut vanilla liquor and a choc mint liquor. We were impressed with everything but ended up buying a bottle of the choc hazelnut liquor.

    We decided not to do a Bundy rum tour and tasting. It was getting quite hot and we knew Cadbury wouldn’t be allowed on the tour. Plus, you can’t do everything when you travel for a long period of time. Time wise and money wise. You have to pick and choose!

    Next we drove around the centre of town, checking out some of the old heritage buildings, before driving up Hummock Lookout (sited on an old volcano) to get a great, but extremely windy, view over the town, surrounding fields and beaches.

    We drove to the beach, stopping at Mon Repos, which is where the turtle centre is. Although we decided not to do a tour, you can book tours now at night to see the females crawl up the beach to lay their eggs in huge holes they dig. Later, in February you can join the tour to see thousands of little turtle eggs hatch.

    Next we continued our drive around to the windy stretch of beach to let Cadbury out and enjoy a snack on sitting on a park bench and then we continued to Burnett Heads, where the Burnett River meets the ocean. We followed the road around the marina and the port.

    By this time the sun was low in the sky, so we decided to head back to our caravan in time for happy hour and just to relax for the rest of the afternoon/evening.

    We tried our lovely new liquor, pairing it with some cheese from a dairy in the Tablelands and some whole-wheat crackers and black olives for a second lovely afternoon snack!

    Then we chatted to fellow travellers in their motorhome, who had two pet eclectus parrots - a 3 year old male and a 16 year old female sitting on eggs.

    And we were also treated to a local game of touch footy on the green just behind us, under lights. We headed inside only when it was really dark and cooked some rice and lentils with veggies for an easy dinner.

    For some reason we couldn’t get the TV up and running so we both watched some Netflix before bed.

    Night night from Bundaberg xx
    Meer informatie