Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Not too Far Today!

    November 19, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We left our free camp in Dalveen this morning - last to leave as usual - and continued our drive on the Country Way through apple orchard farmland. We decided to take a tourist loop detour that led us to a cheese tasting factory where we tasted lots of hand made cheese all made with jersey cow milk - which is creamier than other milk as jersey cows produce the A2 milk. We bought a couple of the cheeses and continued past lots of apple fields. We stopped at an off the the beaten track place called Donelly’s Castle, where there were many granite boulders that you could climb up and walk between. They led up to a fabulous, high lookout over the whole area. We took lots of photos and Cadbury especially seemed to enjoy the climb!

    Next we came back to the main highway and stopped in the town of Stanthorpe and pulled over at a lovely river in town next to the visitor Centre. We made a tuna salad and sat outside enjoying the somewhat cooler weather than we have had for months.

    I filled out my early voting papers and we went to get an envelope at the heritage-listed post office in town (completed in 1901 it is the oldest post federation post office in Queensland, and possibly in Australia).

    By now the clouds were looking a little ominous and we decided to drive to the next town, Wallangarra, where there is a free camp in town at the Lions Park. This town sits just on the NSW border, with Jennings on the other side of a historic railway (five minutes from here) being in NSW.

    After we pulled up it was time for a glass of red and some of those Kingaroy peanuts!

    Just as it was getting dark we walked through the park and the other caravans camped for the night alongside us, and walked along the highway to see if we could find the border sign. We passed the historic railway station (now housing a cafe) and walked to the pub in Jennings (in NSW) but couldn’t see the sign, which either is so small we missed it, or it’s further out on the highway.

    We walked back in the dark, fed Cadbury and cooked schnitzels for dinner inside - the Weber doesn’t usually make an appearance when we stop just for night.

    Time to chill and think about our plans for tomorrow. No doubt we will be changing time zones and losing an hour to daylight savings - but on the flip side we will have longer evenings from now on.

    Night night from the Southern Downs in Queensland xx
    Read more