Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 97

    Stunning Way to Dorrigo, Skywalk & More

    November 24, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Woke up this morning keen to see if yesterday’s strong wind and the rain that we’ve experienced on and off for the last few days had dissipated. I opened the door to bright blue skies with a cold breeze - but nowhere near as biting as yesterday.

    We headed off to Dorrigo, and I found myself mesmerized as we wound our way through breathtaking green rolling fields dotted with fat cows and sheep set against a backdrop of achingly beautiful mountain ranges.

    We pulled up in Dorrigo, drove past the show grounds where there was a local festival on, and continued on to the visitor Centre and on to Dangar Falls. There was a viewing platform over the impressive falls and a walk down to the bottom. We ate lunch in the pretty little park attached - pineapple, papaya and ice cream! - and continued on to the Rainforest Centre, where we took it in turns (National Park means Cadbury isn’t allowed in) to walk along the sky walk overlooking the rainforest and forest canopy and take various walks along the rainforest floor. We had last visited the skywalk some 26 years earlier and we have always remembered how amazing it was to walk out over the treetops (which have definitely grown much higher since then).

    By the time we’d both finished our walks it was after 5pm so we decided to head further down the mountain to a nearby camp, stopping at a lookout and one more waterfall along the way (this one was a sheer drop over the side of the road) before pulling up at our chosen stop in Thor.

    As soon as we stepped out of the car we couldn’t believe how much warmer it was here than further up in Dorrigo or further up up still at Ebor.

    We had enough daylight left to sit outside with some nuts and wine for happy hour. Gadi cooked up a simple dinner of spinach, rice and quinoa mix with scrambled eggs. We checked out the maps and noted that we would be heading back to warmer days from tomorrow, along the coast as we continue to travel south.

    So good night from Thora, our last night on the Waterfall Way, NSW xx
    Read more