Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Tour of the East River and Hudson

    October 8, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Timing the currents for the East River & Hudson River are important. Particularly when you’re looking at a 3 knot current that could either be turbo-boosting you down the river or knocking you back up… I was thrilled to be back in the greatest city; there really is an electricity in the air. The cultures, the food, and most of all the people. We anchored overnight by the Throgs Neck Bridge.
    The next morning we motored down the East River then up the Hudson. We caught the slack before the ebb tide (about an hr past slack) which gave us that amazing 3 knot powerboost on the East River.
    First bridge was the Throgs Neck designed by Othmar Amman in 1961 & built to relieve traffic congestion.
    The second bridge we went under was the Bronx WhiteStone Bridge constructed in 1939 also by Othmar Amman.
    The 3rd main bridge we approached is the Triborough Bridge (Robert F Kennedy)opened in 1936 and funded by the New Deal. It began construction on Black Friday 1929 and was redesigned by…. you guessed it Othmar Amman; his new design saved millions $$ and allowed for the project to continue onward.
    Fourth bridge is the Queensboro Bridge: And I thought the Roosevelt Tram was pretty neat-o
    Read more