Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Nausori

    November 17, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    In the night it was really hot that you didn't even Needed a blanket and the mattress was about 2cm thick. But I had a good night. We left really early in the morning to Nausori. The family of sawi lives here, unfortunately his brother's wife has passed away last week. Today and tomorrow is the funeral.

    The town is on the other side of Fiji, the drive took us around 2 hours. On our way we had to wait for roadworks that had to get a lot of mud of the way. Due the rain there was an mud slide and that blocked the road by 2 meter high mud.

    When we arrived in the village everyone greeted us with bula (hello in Fijian). All the houses here are metal plates with some wood. No windows or anything. And when you enter the house you have to take your shoes off. Most people there walk bare foot or with flip-flops. All year long it's around 30 degrees.

    At the house we had a warm welcome. Got thee and cake. Afterwards we chatted with a lot of people. Luckily they already had a lot of other backpackers h
    Who went here and they know all basic English. I'm together with Luca the only foreigners in the village.

    On the day we only sat around for about 5 hours. Then went to the mortuary and helped to get the coffin. With a mortuary car. We had to wear special clothes, white top and black skirt. When we came back they layed the coffin in the house and we had dinner afterwards. Later in the evening we had kava thats a local drink where you can get drunk from if you drink a lot. It taste like water with nut, but it is a root. Kava is power from the root of a pepper plant.

    Late in the evening there were people singing in front of the coffin. All the people here will stay awake the whole night to pay their respect to the family member that passed away.
    Read more