Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Nice and Quiet and Peaceful

    May 3, 2015 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Day 1

    We pack up and leave Indiana by 11:00 am and head off to Missouri. The drive is good with clear sunny skies. Traffic is moving well and all I have to do is look out at the scenery (and knit of course!). The land here is also agricultural and flat. They do have some trees to break up the fields, but mostly we are flat. Every now and then you see a tractor kicking up dirt in a field but that is about it.

    We stop for gas and then over to Walmart for some stuff. I found out where they get the Walmart customer pictures from: southern Illinois! There is a whole lot of culture going on here! I'm looking for some Scot’s Oats and ask one of the workers here. I think I have totally perplexed her by asking for the International food aisle. She said that they have some Mexican food and rice and the look on her face was priceless. Ah well, we have hit the south!

    We have decided to stay for two nights in a Corps of Engineer park. These parks are absolutely wonderful. They usually occur where they have built a dam or reservoir. These parks are very well laid out and have most of the creature comforts required. This park is called Redman Creek Campground and is located on Wappapello Lake. Our site has full hookups and is half the price of a KOA. We have a fire pit with built in BBQ. It is nice to hear nothing but the birds for a change. We set up; put on the coffee and relax.

    Day 2

    Today we start off with our coffee, sitting outside enjoying the sound of the wind in the trees. We take the boys for their morning walk and I get some pictures of the park and our site. Guenther is washing our motorhome. While driving we have all kinds of bugs hitting the windshield. The carnage is terrible.

    After breakfast we head out for a drive to see what the lake looks like. The area around here is sparsely populated with many trailer homes scattered here and there. It looks like there is not much to do around here and I would image that this is a poor district of Missouri. The lake however is huge and very pretty. There are several boat launches but not many beaches. We do find a shallow inlet where some pike are breeding. Not much else so see. This lake seems deserted, but very pretty and inviting. The water here is murky, probably from the clay bottom.

    It is nice to just get out and walk for a while. The weather is hot; around 27 Celsius with a few white fluffy clouds. Check out the pictures for the lake photos. We head back and have our first BBQ of the year! BBQs are not allowed at the condo where we live, so this is what we look forward to in the motorhome. Our first BBQ is homemade burger, potatoes roasted with onions on the BBQ and a mix of onions, peppers and mushrooms fried up in oil. Yum! Food just takes better out here!

    Tomorrow we are off to Oklahoma for another couple of nights. Talk to you later.
    Read more