Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Here we go again...

    November 28, 2023 in Curacao ⋅ 🌬 30 °C

    We loved Curacao so much last year we are back but in a different resort.

    Our day started back on a cold November morning with Gabi getting picked up by the limo service at 5:50 am. They were at my place by 6:20 am. Our drive to the airport was slow most of the way due to accidents and volume. Surprise. The ride was very comfortable in a Toyota Highlander hybrid. It was -5 Celcius or 24 F for our friends south of the border. Of course, when we landed it was 29 C or 84 F.

    Once at the airport, we were through security in no time. We went to the Maple Leaf lounge to bide our time. However, apparently, we could not enter even if we wanted to pay. I am an Aeroplan member, but apparently, we had to pre-purchase our passes on the phone. Would have been nice to read this somewhere on the Air Canada website when I checked a few days ago. We ended up in the Priority lounge. The food was meh, there was very little service but it was quiet and comfortable for the couple of hours to wait. The flight boarded quickly and we actually left early. Gabi and I had aisle seats, which gave us marginally better leg room. The flight was smooth, the food for purchase in the economy seats was also meh. We were traveling with Rouge, which is a subsiduary of Air Canada. The seats are tight but doable.

    We landed early in Curacao, but immigration and customs took a while. I had booked private transport to our resort and they were indeed waiting for us. It was nice to have a whole van for just the two of us. We could leave immediately and not have to wait for others. We are staying at the Dreams Resort this time. A step up from last year. This resort has one main building with 5 stories. There is an elevator, so we aren't climbing the stairs. The room is nice with 2 double beds however, it is not an ocean view. The young lady that booked us in is going to change that tomorrow. We were given a welcome drink and then shown to our rooms. After we got out of our long pants, socks and shoes, we wandered around to check out the resorts. Unfortunately, we arrived when all the food places were closed so we had to wait until 6:30 to get dinner. It is just a long day without proper meals for us two old ladies.

    Our first dinner was as the Ocean Grille. Here is where our first issue with the resort starts. The lady who checked us in told us to download the app for the resort to get a map and menus for the restaurants. This is easily done. So we ask our server for our choices to find out that the menu on the app is not the correct one. We then had to download another menu. Really? Get it together Hyatt. Our meals were very good. I started with a salad and Gabi had the soup. I had the Maui Maui for dinner while Gabi chose the Surf and Turf. Both were very good. I had another pinacoloda and Gabi ordered a Dirty Monkey. Desserts were also nice and light after our meal. We did have friend drop by to join us for dinner. I'm thinking this is going to be a nightly thing. There are several other restaurants on the resort, so we will have to try them all.

    We headed back up to our rooms after the long travel day. See you tomorrow.
    Read more