Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    First full day in paradise

    November 29, 2023 in Curacao ⋅ 🌬 30 °C

    We woke early (for us) around 7 AM. The sun was hiding behind some clouds. Not real heavy cloud but enough to diffuse it. We still enjoyed the view. A little more about the room now. We are in a generous size room with two double beds. It is on the 5th floor and the balcony has an east facing view with partial ocean view. The bathroom is a good size as well with a bathtub this time. There is blessed air conditioning which also dehumidifies the room very well. It is actually very quiet here which is nice for afternoon siestas. The beds are very comfortable with 5 pillows each. I use only 1 but Gabi likes the horde of them. Mine end up on the floor. The room has everything you need from dual plugs (European and North American) and usb ports to coffee maker (but no tea). It doesn't seem fair that I can enjoy a coffee in the morning and Gabi can't have her tea. Today while out here, we spotted a cruise ship in port. Looks like a Royal Caribbean but hard to tell at this distance. There is a very nice breeze which makes the temperature bearable this early in the morning; a mere 28 Celsius or 82 F. The curtains in the room are very good at blocking out the light as well. There is plenty of closet and drawer space, safe and mini fridge filled daily. (Non-alcohol only) The bathroom is well appointed with towels, face clothes (we were missing those last year), shampoo/conditioner, soaps and toothbrushes. Hyatt has done very well here to make you comfortable.
    Once up and out of the room, we head down for breakfast. The buffet is right off the main lobby area, very convenient. They have everything you need for a healthy or less healthy breakfast. They will make omelets or fried eggs as well. They were a little shy on sweet rolls (Gabi’s favourite) but they did have everything else from fruit to meats to baked beans (for breakfast?).

    After breakfast Gabi heads upstairs and I find the nearest place for a Frappuccino. Then I find the nearest pool. I set myself up with a lounger and head into the pool. Ah yes, water. I’m home now. I think I should have been born a fish or at least a turtle. I just am more at home floating around in the water. I did manage 4 lengths of the pool in various forms of swimming which is pretty good for me. The pool has stairs going in and gradually gets deeper, I think I might get Gabi in the water this time! The loungers are comfortable but very low to the ground. There was no way I could get out of the thing without help. I am switching to the sun beds from now on.
    Gabi joins me after my swim because we have the almost obligatory sales pitch for their vacation club. We already belong to the lower level but the upsell to a higher level is obnoxious. It was very good at the first with a review of what we already have and how to use the app more. However, the upsell part is really pushy and the word no is not in their vocabulary. The answer was still no when we left.
    After a wonderful lunch at the buffet, we headed upstairs for a siesta. After which we head back to the pool. I manage another 4 laps, yay that's 8 for me today! The sunbeds are much easier to get out of. We read for a while and people watch. All of a sudden, it’s time to shower up for dinner.
    The shower has dual heads and plenty of hot water. What more could a girl want? The buffet closes after lunch around 3 pm then the specialty restaurants take over. We head to Portofino, the Italian restaurant. It is nicely tucked away in a courtyard with palm trees and twinkling lights. The food was exc ellent. I had the Caesar salad and the linguini with shrimp and salmon. Gabi had the cablese salad with the shrimp risotto. We both had the panna cotta for dessert. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised last night. I went with a glass of merlot and it was very, very nice. Last year as Sunscapes I tried several different wines and could not find one that was palatable. I guess coming from the wine region of Niagara has its drawbacks. However, way to go Dreams!

    After dinner we headed to the Casino. Yes, I try my luck. Gabi of course won, I of course lost. Back up to our room for some reading and then bed time. Tomorrow is another day and another adventure.
    Read more