Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Last Full Day in Paradise

    December 4, 2023 in Curacao ⋅ 🌬 28 °C

    We had a good night last night. Both of us slept well. Today is our last full day here. We don't leave until 2 PM tomorrow, so we can still go for a swim, have a good breakfast and lunch before we leave. Since Rouge won't feed the peasants in economy; we plan to take some of the buffet with us to eat on the plane.

    After breakfast we head to nab a cabana by the pool. These are so comfy and provide shade from the sun. We lounge around and read, people watch and chit chat as usual. Yes Ken, we can find things to talk about every day for hours. Then something happens that we haven't seen yet. Moisture comes from the sky. I think its rain. Why yes, yes, it is. It actually lasted for about 10 minutes off and on. Then it is gone and we have blue skies and puffy white clouds.

    So, I’m lying there reading and what to my wondrous eyes happens? Gabi is in the pool! Yes, that’s right everyone: Gabi is in the pool. You see Gabi doesn't do water (other than showers). I have tried to get her in the water before but it is a no go. So, on our last day she goes in. The main pool has an entrance that is literally a walk in to the pool. I guess this made Gabi more comfortable. I quickly got some pictures and video of this rare sighting. Well, I just had to join her. I go I find someone to grab a picture of the pair of us in the water for proof that this is possible. I'm slowly corrupting Gabi. You never know what’s next.

    After our swim, we lounge a bit more enjoying the day. Then it is lunch time. After which I head back to the pool and Gabi goes up to start packing for tomorrow.

    I'm sitting by the pool and something strange starts to happen. It's raining! Yes, that's right it is raining in Curacao, quick check it out! It only lasts for maybe 5 minutes and then it stops. The funny thing is that it looks sunny while it's raining. Check out the picture.

    We enjoy our last dinner at Portofino. Gabi had the mushroom soup and the spaghetti carbonara. I went with the Caesar salad and parmesan chicken. This was by far the best meal I had this week. The chicken parmesan was beautiful. The chicken moist and tender and the sauce and vegetables the perfect combination of texture and spice. Desert was the panna cotta that was light and the perfect end to the meal.

    One thing to note today was the power failure. It started in the afternoon with the power kicking off for a few minutes here and there. Then we went down for dinner and found the restaurant in darkness. They have generators that powered most of the hotel (the air conditioners, thank goodness) but the restaurant was without lights. This was okay since there was enough ambient light coming in. Half way through dinner we got the power back on and everything was back to normal.

    We finished off the night with the casino. Gabi has managed to win or stay even every night. I however, think it is important to support the local economy and leave my donation with them.

    Good night for now, tomorrow will bring such sweet sorrow as we leave this lovely island for another year.
    Read more