Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Up, down, up, down, up, down again

    January 31 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ -1 °C

    We started early today. Ken and Gabi being picked up by the limousine at 3:00 AM. Then they picked me up at 3:20 AM. We use Airport Limousine. It is just easier than us driving and parking. The drive is great at this time of the morning. There is nobody on the roads.

    It's fair to say that we are all a little tired as we didn't get a whole bunch of sleep.

    We are flying out of Terminal 3 this time. It's a newer terminal and easy to get around. We pre-checked in so we can go straight to TSA and immigration. We are through those in one-half an hour. We waited for our flight in the lounge. I grabbed us some drinks and snacks. Soon enough, we are boarding. This is a full flight, unfortunately. We start to taxi out and then stop. The captain says that we can't get take-off clearance until 6:28 AM. Why board us at 5:30 if we can't leave until 6:28?

    We finally took off! Yes! Oops, 10 minutes into the flight, our captain says that we have an instrumentation issue, and we have to go back to Toronto. REALLY? This is going to put us back even more. At 7:30 AM, they tell us that this airplane is being taken out of flight. We have no idea what is going on now.

    We got off the plane and get to the next gate. There is a lineup of 171 other people trying to get a flight. The lady at the counter told us that 'They are not staffed to handle this' and to go online to get rescheduled. I jumped at that one! The first flight I got went from Toronto to Philadelphia and then to Miami. Okay, fine, arriving 8 hours later than our original direct flight. There goes our day in South Beach.

    We went to the next gate. We met a couple there who said that Philadelphia was a large hub, and they are flying through Washington. Well, we aren't dragging luggage all over the place, so I got back on the phone to get on that flight. We have that flight now. Back upstairs (they have an elevator) to get food vouchers sin e our day is now spent on airports traveling. It's only 9:30 AM, and I'm eying the bar.

    We waited patiently for the 4 hours till our flight. We grabbed a bite to eat and then made our way to the next gate. This is a small puddle jumper. We had to walk outside on the tarmac to walk up the plane stairs to get in. This is Toronto in January, people. BRRR. We have to surrender our baggage because the overhead bins are too small to accommodate them. Spiffy! Fortunately, we have bulkhead seats where we have plenty of leg room. Off we go, a quick drink and down we go to Washington Regan Airport.

    There's not much time here as we have to board again in an hour. This looks like a bigger plane. Maybe overhead bins? I'll keep you posted.

    Okay, we made it on, and we're seated. Yes, we have overhead bins, and we didn't have to walk outside to get on the plane. They say it is a 2-hour flight but that we may not have a gate to pull up to. I don't know what that means. My back is starting to fade, Ken's knee is almost shot, Gabi has a pain in her shoulder. I don't think we are touring South Beach tonight.

    We landed just before 6:00 PM. We grabbed a taxi and fought traffic to the hotel. The weather is a mild 72 F or 22 C. The sun is gone for the day, but it will be back tomorrow. Ken and I are frothing at the mouth for alcohol. it doesn't matter what kind. We just need some.

    Check-in at the Hyatt was the easiest thing about today. Wonderful people. Our rooms are very 'Art Deco'. We will enjoy a great night's sleep. We headed across the street to a place called Sunny's at Collins & 11th Ave. The food was wonderful (check the pictures). The service was great. We all finally got to have a drink.

    Ken and I went back for a Jack and Coke at the hotel bar, while Gabi headed up to the room. It's been a long day and a long post (sorry). Tomorrow is the embarkation on the ship. That should be sooo much easier. Good night all.
    Read more