Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Roma - Charleville

    July 16, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Nice warm comfy night at The Overlander Motel, we forgot to book in brekky so set off in search of food. No sooner than we get started we come upon a large park full of scrap metal sculptures which looked interesting so we stopped and browsed. All were part of a show called Sculptures Out Back, prizes given by judges and pride of place forever in the park for Open Show winner. Sculptures were all for sale, and sold, the most expensive was $18,000, the least expensive just $2,000.

    Next stop The Big Rig. This is a park displaying Charleville's oil, gas and water drilling history. A great interactive and static display, fully informative with great facilities. Brekky at the Cafe there before tackling the display. We got to the top of the display tower which imitates the height of The Big Rig drill tower giving us great 360 deg views of the district and walked amongst the treetops beside Bungil Creek. This Creek runs from The Great Divide thru to Roma, a distance of 233km. Tweed River is 80km....

    Before heading west we went shopping for some minor supplies (not alcohol, we have plenty of that still), felt lucky to find anything open, just the cheap shop and they had the essentials in stock. Finally set off sticking to the Warrego Hwy.

    Through Mitchell and Morven towards Charleville. Dodged a lot of road kill, mainly Red Kangaroo, but also Emu and wild Pig. Road Trains in abundance. A roadside stop for snack and cuppa about 35km East of Charleville at the cleanest rest area toilets we've ever seen.

    We hit Charleville about 3.30pm, fuelled up, hunted around for lodgings, more difficult than expected, one place had rooms but they hadn't cleaned them because they couldn't find the keys...yep, don't ask, we just thought it best to get out asap.

    We plan to check out the Bilbys, Distant Education (Radio), the largest classroom in the world, the Planetarium and WWII Camp Museum before continuing on towards Quilpie. But before we do, it's a quiet relaxed drink at our digs, the Warrego Motel before dinner. Cheers
    Read more