Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Charleville - Quilpie

    July 17, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Up and out of the Warrego Motel in time to grab a real coffee then to The Bilby Show at Charleville Railway Stn/Info Centre. It's all about the efforts of locals saving the Bilby population. Very interesting and informative. Saw real Bilby's.

    After the show, it was off to the Cosmos Centre....all about the Universe, our Galaxy, and all that unknown that surrounds it. Great place to stargaze... when it's not cloudy like today...grrr

    We then checked out the US Airbase Exhibition. This base was a training centre for the most secretive military device, the Norden Bomb Sight device that enabled the Allies to bomb with extreme accuracy. Charleville seem most proud of their ancestors' ability to keep the base hush-hush throughout WWII.

    A quick look at the RFDS Base created by John Flynn before departing West, still on the Warrego Way (according to roadside sign, it's Australia's longest road. Don't really know how that is....what about Highway 1, or Nullabor?)

    Long straight highway to beer stop at Cooladdi....one stop shopping in the middle of nowhere. Starting to see more wildlife (other than dead), wild pigs, goats, emus and wedge-tailed eagle, the pig and eagle were feasting on road kill (different location), unfortunately eagle scurried off quickly, the pig stood it's ground so we stopped beside it to grab a photo but the stench was unbearable so WE scurried off quickly.

    We scored the last available bed at the Quilpie Motor Inn, Quilpie, which is the last railstop on the Queensland western line (had to get a selfie there). It is also the site of pioneer British Aviatrix, Amy Johnson landing at the Aerodrome for supplies on her record-setting solo flight from the UK to Australia in the 1930s.

    Romance is never far away when it comes to Jen & I, so it was off to Bald Top Rock, just out of Quilpie for a beautiful view of the sunset through light cloud and rainfall on the horizon over the mulga covered Plains of the outback...of course we had the obligatory drinks and nibbles on hand to complete the picture....ooooh!
    Read more