Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Dinner in a Palace, Day 2

    October 21, 2015 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    The Tauck tour officially started with a private dinner in the Lebcowicz Palace, part of the royal palace complex, said to be e largest in Europe. Dating back 900 years, the family lost and regained it and their other Czech properties, first to the Nazis and next to the Communists. The current Lebcowicz had the chance to reclaim the family estates after the Velvet Revolution in 1989. It's amazing that so much of the family art was recovered:, mostly stern portraits but also a Brueghel, Valezquez and two Canaletto landscapes featuring London. We enjoyed these artists in The Prado during our Madrid trip last year.

    But what moved me to tears were original manuscripts by Mozart, Hayden and Beethoven. and learning that we have Maximilian Lebcowicz to thank for some of our most important classical music. He met Beethoven when both were young men, and typical of the rich in the 17th century, he supported him with annual stipend, enabling him to compose what he wished, instead of by contract. Manuscripts from Beethoven's 5th Symphony and Eroica were on view, dedicated to his generous patron. This support was continued by Lebcowicz' son.

    But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before this moving tour of the family's private collections (not open to the general public), the evening started with champagne and wine, leading to dinner in a small ballroom, entertained by a string quartet. Dinner: tomato soup with Parmesan cheese and creme fraiche, chicken medallions with pea puree, potato terrine with thyme and wild mushroom sauce and ginger creme brulé with strawberry espuma (foam). At first I thought it to be a boring dinner but each dish was quite delicious.

    What a kickoff to the tour! We met six couples from Thailand and others from Portland, San Francisco and Coral Gables. Tomorrow, we have an early start (8:30am) to tour the city. I'll cover that tomorrow and say "goodnight" now.
    Read more