Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Budapest, Parliament Day 12

    November 1, 2015 in Hungary ⋅ 🌙 1 °C

    The Tauck tour is over and we're on our own until we leave on Tuesday. Georges is still not feeling well. It was nice to sleep in and have brunch. We went for an inside tour of the beautiful Parliament building... A group of 50-60 people with one guide without the Vox boxes that Tauck used (we heard our guides through earpieces). Hardly mattered because the guide had little to say. Bottom line: the interior is very beautiful, in similar Gothic design and guilt as many of the buildings we've visited.

    We went with Janet, a widow from Cincinnati whom I got to know during the tour. Afterwards we walked around the neighborhood and headed back to the hotel. Georges was beat and only wanted a hot bath and rest. Janet and I luxuriated in the hotel spa. We couldn't book a massage but enjoyed the aromatherapy steam room and sauna. Id actually spent a couple hours here on Saturday after our morning tour.

    The day ended at Reteshaz, a Hungarian cafe with outstanding foie gras, goulash soup, cucumber salad and the best duck (leg) I've ever had. Yesterday's guide, Liz, said that Hungarians drink a glass of wine everyday, don't believe in cholesterol and enjoy the small pleasures in life. After all, we re going to die anyway so enjoy the journey.
    Read more