Satellite
  • Day 27

    Boeing factory tour... what a blast!

    May 20, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    When you’re a plane nerd and you’re in Seattle you have to the Boeing factory... right! We saw a wonderful display of some military and domestic planes, plus hints of the manufacturing process of the current 787 - the body of the Dreamliner is from Kevlar?

    Then it was off to the factory, the largest building in cubic volume in the world, minus all our electronic equipment. No pics unfortunately! Let me be your eyes for a couple of minutes.

    Our bus trip across Paine Airfield revealed many new planes, 777, 787, 767, 747, to name a few. All were in various stages of pre-flight testing or painting prior to their customer handover.

    Getting off the bus we were led down stairs into one of many tunnels running under the building allowing movement across vast distances. Up to an observation deck to see the manufacturing processes of the 767, the 747 cargo and the latest offering, the very popular Dreamliner, 787-8.

    The exciting news for Boeing is their next offering. Due in 2019, is the 777X, supposedly the longest commercial plane! We got a sneak peak of the test version currently being built.
    Read more