Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    More creatures…..

    February 28 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Platypus - first time seeing these guys for real. This was a sanctuary for ‘platipi’ who have been rescued and recuperated, but can’t be released into the wild. There’s no breeding prog, as they’re not endangered, but knowing a baby platypus is called a puggle is a first class fact 😁

    We know what they look like, but seeing them for real, they look like they’ve been made up from a box of spare parts or a kids drawing - cute and surreal! The males have a venomous barb near their back legs - you’d really know about it, if it got you - an induced coma or amputation being one of your possible treatment options. Plus they lay eggs - WTF?!

    They’re very sensitive and easily stressed, so don’t travel well, which is why the only place you can see them is Aus & San Diego(?).

    Echidna - turbo hairbrushes! Bigger than hedgehogs, but equally adorable, they scooted around us on short legs, in their purpose built room. Their spines were laid flat so when they squeezed past it was like a gentle brush against our skin. They have very long wormy tongues, and in the wild cover a lot of ground, hence never keeping still.

    Seahorses - a breeding programme to supply tanks / aquarium around the world. They can birth up to 1000 babies (the male does this and the aftercare!) so the tanks were swarming from newly birthed, nursery to teenagers. We got to gently handle a couple - but not sure how much they enjoyed it tho…..

    Octopus - just having a good tentacle stretch

    The only critter I have yet to see - and want to very much - is a wombat….
    Read more