Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    King Solomon’s Caves

    February 29 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Bye to Launceston (you pronounce the ‘ceston’ bit fully - no silent vowel!) I’ll remember you (sort of) fondly for the annoying issue with our power on arrival and the 🕷️.

    Onward to the North coast, but before we got there, we visited the King Solomon’s caves at Mole Creek Karsta NP.

    A bit of a drive on some now familiar twisty turny Tassie roads. The caves were amazing, fabulous calcite formations, which took millions of years to form. The clever lighting brought out the best of the stalactites and stalagmites. When the guide turned the lights off, it was a thick, inky, black which you could almost feel. Excellent caves, well worth the snaky detour.

    After a spot of lunch parked up at the visitor centre, we started the drive to our next site, Boat Harbour Beach. Yet another rollercoaster drive, as we set off up hills, through forests, round hills and acute switchbacks, through more forest, down hills - you get the idea. When we arrived on a proper road again it was a huge relief.

    Eventually we hit the larger than expected north west coastal town of Burnie, which signalled our end destination was upon us at last.

    As we drove into Boat Harbour, we saw the water again (the Bass Straight this time, which separates Aus from Tassie). Having been inland for a few days, this was a very welcome change.

    After a walk on the beach to get some fresh air and be attacked by flies, we checked in with the rather ‘off beat’ site owner. Our pitch is quite high, and we can see the sea (so to speak).

    Once it was dark, we stepped outside and the skies were awash with stars. The Milky Way and large & small Magellanic Clouds were instantly visible with the naked eye. Unbelievable and breathtaking.

    In the UK, you forget the skies can look like that. I expect the locals just take them for granted…..
    Read more