Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Hobart part II

    March 9 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Our Hobart hotel is lovely. We were due to stay somewhere else, but there was a fire there before Christmas, so alternative accommodation was found for us. We’ve ended up with breakfast included, which wasn’t on our original package! Had dinner at the Hog’s Breath restaurant - we’ve been to a few in Aus - so seemed right to go here as it’s next to our hotel. No more cooking on a bbq for us!

    So the news this morning said temps here would be in excess of 34 degrees. That’s hot for Tassie and for us, especially as we’ve encountered such variable temps up to now. It ramps up from low to high then down again without any warning!

    We’ve been looking forward to today, as we’d arranged to meet Mel & Shaun. Mel is one of my lovely friend, Anna’s daughters. Anna isn’t here anymore but we catch up with Mel when either of us is in each other’s hemisphere!

    We started by walking around Salamanca Market, Aussie’s most famous. It was fab, food, drink and nice things to buy. At the same time, HMAS Hobart has docked here, so the city was celebrating this too. There was a naval parade, and crew from the ship around town. A great vibe.

    In the afternoon we’d booked to go to Mona - a completely indescribable art gallery! You get there on a party boat, and the fun continues - the installations are a mix of intriguing, controversial, beautiful, baffling, thought provoking. Brilliant.

    We ended up at the oldest pub in Australia, which was mins away from our hotel. A fab day but oh boy, completely knackered from the heat and all the walking 🤪

    Had a final wrangle with the packing - lets call this round a draw!

    Tomorrow we’re off to NZ….. Chapter two of our trip 😁
    Read more