Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Bye Tassie, its been fab….

    March 10 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    …….and hello NZ

    Having called the packing war a draw last night, this morning I noticed things still needing a space 🫤. I was sure there was no more room, but some small gaps had materialised as the bags settled over night, and the errant items were duly shoved in without ceremony.

    The taxi to the airport was quick, and we arrived before the check in opened (a first). Hobart airport is tiny, and everyone goes through security into the domestic area first. The international lounge is opened 90 mins before a flight is due to depart, and you have to go through another round of security shenanigans.

    We bumped into a familiar face from a couple of days ago, from the motor home drop off, which was cool (the one who’d been surprised by her family).

    Whilst we were waiting in domestics Col spied Mel & Shaun, whose flight had been delayed, so we had a good ol’ catch up with them too!

    The Air NZ flight was just over 3 hours, but we found ourselves in the ‘have nots’ camp. Seems you had to pre order meals, but as our flights were booked by Trailfinders, no meals were ordered for us. The smell of wafting food trays is always appetising when you’re in a plane, regardless of the actual meal, so it was torture to sit amongst the ‘haves’ as they merrily chomped through their Thai red curry etc!

    The online security and visa system (which we’d completed beforehand) worked really well and we were through security pretty fast, with our bags following quickly too.

    We sorted our NZ phone sims at the airport (with far less hassle than in Aus with Telstra) and emerged blinking in the late pm sun. Despite the flight being fairly short, we’d been in transit one way or another all day. I guess it gave us a chance to rest which was much needed.

    Our accom in Akl is very nice, great view from our room, I’m not sure how much it cost, as our whole trip is a package, but I suspect it was more pricy than we’d have normally gone for!
    Read more