Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Fish & Chips and Haggis

    April 19, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    We didn't have enough time to sit down for lunch after our boat ride, so we got some fish and chips to go. As I sat and spread my feast before me, the loud Scot lady looked at me sternly and said "no food or drink on the train". Her husband chimed "we'll have to confiscate that". We all started to laugh. The ride back was the same scenery in reverse. All good, and when we returned to Fort William put together a loose plan for tomorrow, that is weather and bus schedule dependant.

    The Austrailians had asked us if we had tried Haggis. We admitted we hadn't, but said we would like to. Now was the time and we went into a restaurant on High street and ordered Haggis Neeps and Mash... and a salad to wash it all down. Dianne has some Irish blood according to her family tree, and my Grandma Gillis (nee Griffin) claimed to be Scottish, so it is really no surprise that we both enjoyed the Haggis. It has oatmeal in it with various other meat ingredients like liver, heart, lung and maybe a few other things. Around here it is made from sheep, but it depends on the local favourite. Neeps is mashed turnip and mash is potato.
    Read more