Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Dianne’s Jordaan walk!

    April 10, 2022 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    After fish and chips for an afternoon snack, we did a walking tour of Jordaan. It starts at Dam square which has been described as the Dutch “Times Square”. It gets quieter as you progress along the canals into a residential neighbourhood. On the way we pass by Anne Frank’s house, and Pink Point. Pink Point is a small memorial, a Homomonument to all oppressed people of the LGBTQ community. The pink triangle is symbol homosexuals were forced to wear by the Nazis.
    We pass many canal boats and tours as Dianne’s hints get more noticeable! The tour continues thru a more artsy neighbourhoods with art galleries, florists and with many sidewalk pubs and restaurants . It is such a beautiful evening they are well attended. The hints are alluding to a promised boat tour of the canals. Trouble is, the last tour leaves at 18:45 and it’s 19:00 now. Dianne doesn’t want this to be like my promise of a camel ride on our last trip. Not the Banff trip, but the one to the Middle East. Everyone on that trip had ridden a camel before and I myself wasn’t keen to do it again. On that trip it was always “tomorrow for sure”. until we got on the airplane to go home. This time is “Tomorrow for sure” for the canal ride.
    Read more