Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Historic Center Quito

    May 26, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Our visit to the old town center was a pleasant walk we began at Independence Plaza, with Presidents Palace, municipal buildings and on carried on thru streets of shops. The town was bustling with people, street vendors, police, lots of police! We continued our walk to the plaza with the Metropolitan cathedral.

    We visited two churches, and had the opportunity to shop as well. The first church was the Basilica. It was nice like a basilica is, and we were treated to a traditional folk dance by a senior group of indigenous dancers. (Pictures to follow next footprint)

    The other church was one of my favourite churches. It was of baroque architecture and is a Jesuit church. No pictures inside allowed but is impressive. It took over 160 years to complete. As beautiful as this church was it was almost too much gold…everything walls, carvings the alter all covered with 24 carat gold leaf. The coolest thing was standing at the alter and looking behind you saw a staircase on either side of the front doors. One was real and one was a painting! Just to keep the balance!

    We finally stopped at the Independence Plaza where we enjoyed lunch. Liz found a shop that had the perfect Panama hat for her!
    Read more