Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 19

    Dalat Agriculture

    29 Şubat, Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We headed out for an agricultural tour and started with a greenhouse just outside of town where they grow roses and Gerber daisies. They explained the different types of fertilizer they use and we watched while a farmer was tilling lime and fertilizer into a patch where they had just pulled out lilies. They use goat poop for roses because it doesn't stink like the cow poop. He also gave us a great trick on how to pick Gerber daisies, and you should never cut them, but simply pull them at the base of the plant which will then allow the flowers to stay fresh for 10 days. Two main industries in Dalat: Tourism, with South Korea being primary, and agriculture. Dalat is referred to as the "vegetable garden" of Vietnam. The hillsides for as far as you can see once you get out of town, are covered with greenhouses. They grow flowers, fruits, tea, coffee, and vegetables.

    A bit of history....
    The Dutch East India Company, also known as the VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie), played a significant role in international trade, including Southeast Asia. The main purpose of the Dutch in Vietnam was to establish trade relations and acquire valuable commodities such as spices, silk, and other goods.

    While the Dutch did have a presence in the southern parts of Vietnam, including areas such as Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon), there is limited historical evidence to suggest a significant Dutch influence specifically in the development of agriculture in Dalat.

    Dalat's agricultural development owes more to French efforts during the colonial era. The French recognized the region's fertile soil and suitable climate for agriculture and initiated various agricultural projects in the area, including the cultivation of coffee, tea, vegetables, and flowers.

    Under French colonial rule, Dalat became a center for experimental farming and horticulture. Research institutions and agricultural schools were established, introducing modern farming techniques and the cultivation of new crops. The French encouraged local farmers to diversify their agricultural practices, leading to the city's reputation as a prosperous agricultural hub.

    While the Dutch did have a historical presence in parts of Vietnam, including agriculture-related activities, their direct involvement in Dalat's agricultural development is not as significant as the French contribution. It was primarily the French who played a major role in shaping the agricultural landscape of the city and establishing its reputation as a center for high-quality produce.
    Okumaya devam et