Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Padron to O Sisto

    June 17, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    After a hotel room breakfast, we've done a low key walkabout of Padrons old town again. I love wandering old cities as they wake up, the quietness, the low voiced greetings....it feels that there is a general respect for the fact that some of us need to wake up slowly, gently. Aided by a really good cappuccino at a sidewalk cafe if at all possible.

    We find this cafe, also serving churros, which makes Brad happy and me shudder. Far too early in the day!

    Since it's a shortish day again, there's time to savor the little oasis that is Padrons peaceful, geometrical Botanical Garden before we set out on a 15km countryside ramble.

    We are spending the night at Casa Rural Vella da Rivera, where we are welcomed by Sin, one of the most gracious hosts I've ever experienced. Greeting us as friends rather than guests almost, Sin immediately shows us our room and says please, freshen up, rest, don't worry about the check-in we'll do that later. Come to the main house when you're ready.

    When we are ready, Sin gives us the tour of the 300 year old stone house she and her husband Diego have renovated over the last 3 years. It's a warm, cosy homey space, and we are encouraged to think of it as our home.

    Later, Sin and Diego serve a homemade pilgrims dinner. Simple, perfect, and with unexpected gourmet touches. A real feast, for all senses. We are joined at table by a family group from the Netherlands, and an extremely enjoyable dinner made the end of our day perfection.
    Read more