Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    El Burgo Ranero

    July 25, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Walking at 6:30 this morning. I’m really getting used to watching it slowly get lighter and then seeing the sunrise. These are not normal activities for me. In fact, any activity at that time is unusual for me. Two miles got us to Moratinos, and coffee. We saw a strange sight coming into this small village. What looked like a huge pile of dirt with doors and windows. Turns out it is (or was) for wine storage. Since there are no mountains in this part of the country, they make do with dirt. We noticed that once we got into wheat country, the buildings started to be made from bricks with mud daubing. For really important buildings like bigger churches they imported stone, but most buildings are brick.

    Had breakfast of omelette sandwiches another couple of miles on in San Nicolás del Real Camino. Sandwiches are a breakfast thing here.

    Saw a cool old bridge as we passed through Sahagún. And then we walked out the day to El Burgo Ranero with a new record 18.5 miles. We didn’t really want to set a record, it just worked out with the town spacing that was our best option. We will have two relatively easy days coming up that will get us to the city of Leon and a layover.
    Read more