Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Valencia - Second Day

    November 5, 2023 in Spain

    Woke up to warm sunny skies!! Started the day with the local version of breakfast, coffee, pastry, and fresh squeezed Valencia orange juice. Orange trees loaded with oranges are everywhere. Strolled around the city looking at the sights. At the cathedral I was able to climb up an unending spiral tower to the top for a view of the city. Their cathedral is the equal of any in Spain. The main city markets were closed, on Sunday unfortunately. Had a delicious lunch of the best paella I have had. And then walked around for the rest of the day.

    Valencia is strongly community oriented. Parks are everywhere and they are full of families out using them on a sunny Sunday. The Turia River used to run through the city. After some devastating floods in the 50’s, they decided to divert the river outside town. The original plan was to use the old river bed for a new highway system. The community fought back and eventually a beautiful 5 mile long park resulted.

    Being a tourist is different from walking a camino. On the camino, you have the days walking for reflection and you meet fellow pilgrims as you go. Most nights there is often a meal with others staying at your albergue that provides community. As a tourist, you have a lot less in common with people around you and have to work a lot harder to connect with them. Especially when there are language differences to overcome. It feels a little lonely walking around without someone to share the experience with. I miss my wife Debbie, especially since I left the camino.

    There are a couple of camino routes that start from Valencia. I’ve decided to do a little walk on the Camino Raquena tomorrow starting a ways out of the city. .
    Read more