Satellite
  • Day 143

    the Enchanted Highway

    October 11, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 48 °F

    Woke up to a sunny, but fairly cool morning. Happy to see some blue skies! Headed out to Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, located on the Missouri River. (Yes the Missouri!) Unfortunately while the park was open the visitor center wouldn't open until 1 pm. Tired the Mandan Indian village replica, viewed the river, and had a glimpse of Gen. Custer's house.

    Drive west on 94 again. North Dakota looks just like we imagined. Rolling plains, lots of silos, lots of hay rolls sitting the landscape. They grow almost every type of grain, plus soy beans and lots of sunflower fields. All the flowers are gone just the big brown heads bent over are all that is left.

    Got off the interstate taking an old county highway (the Old Red Trail byway) for awhile just to get a closer look at several small ag towns on the route. Small, meaning no stop lights, and a streetscape of older, empty buildings. Stopped in the city of Hebron, aka Brick City. So named because they have a large brick company here. Even this barely keeps the town alive.

    We took a detour off of the interstate and headed south on what is known as the "enchanted highway ". It's about 30 miles long and takes you into the small town of Regent. ND.
    Beautiful day to enjoy these large scale sculptures that were pretty much concieved and built by one man to help draw more people to the town of Regent. They are big, and wonderful to see. They just make you smile, and we had wonderful blue skies for a back drop. We stopped at each one, about 6 or 7 in all.

    Finished the day in Medora, which is literally the gateway to Theodore Roosevelt Natl park. Got in late, but had called an RV park that I thought was open. They aren't. But they take a few self contained RVs off season. No amenities, no water, but we do have electric which helps when it is cold!

    You can tells this town is all about the tourists; shops, restaurants, hotels all over. And almost everyone is "closed for the season". So quiet! Few business open, maybe 2 restaurants and one gift shop and hotel? But the location serves our purpose!
    Read more